Monday, February 7, 2011

The Beauty of difference found in Nature

I am a rock climber. I climb for the love of pushing my limits both physically and mentally and I do it for the love of nature. I want to climb harder and be stronger for the reason of experiencing the beauty that nature has to offer me. Such as the way that pockets and plates were carved by water at Red River Gorge to glaciers carving the Yosemite Valley. Nature has carved the landscapes which we walk by slowing eroding away rock and soil over a thousand years, yet we carve the landscape in a matter of year with the McDonald houses found in the sprawling suburbs.
Climbing has undertaken a process of change related to the sprawling suburbs. We climb on plastic in a control environment to become stronger to only exceed pushing the our limit outside. I, unfortunately live in Cincinnati, OH and I am subjugated to climbing on plastic most of the year. What I would kill to climb outside for mos the year! My desire for Nature and experiencing it fully is derived from our own human tendency to be somewhere not artificial!
I think we, as a society, have become to accustom to artificially creating nature, by destroying a landscape, building a home with a small yard, planting some exotic flowers and getting rid of the indigenous population of plant species. Also, our consumption of food is bland compared to what was and still is available. The exploration of something different has been lost in us. We want our McDonaldized world were we expect the same in every place we go. Lets embrace the difference! Lets embrace what Nature has to offer us rather then constructing what we think is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment